Granger Remarks on H.R. 8337, Short-Term Continuing Resolution
Madam Speaker, I rise today in support of H.R. 8337, a short-term continuing resolution through December 11th.
The coronavirus pandemic has impacted virtually every aspect of American life.
During this unprecedented time, it is more critical than ever that the federal government remain open and functioning.
By passing this short-term CR, we will:
- Provide critical support for farmers and ranchers;
- Extend a nutrition program that has been a lifeline during the pandemic for low-income students who are out of school;
- Ensure critical military operations continue;
- Support vital transportation programs by extending the FAST Act;
- Extend the National Flood Insurance Program;
- Ensure that there are no delays in the Department of Veterans Affairs’ electronic health record system; and
- Allow agencies experiencing operational challenges during the pandemic to continue functioning.
As an appropriator, it pains me to have to consider anything short of full-year appropriations bills for the next fiscal year.
But I remain hopeful that passing this CR will allow the government to continue operating and give the House and the Senate time to work out our differences after the election.
The alternative would have been an unnecessary and costly government shutdown. I think both sides agree that would be disastrous for our economy, our national security, our veterans, and the public health.
I look forward to passing this bill today, moving it through the Senate, and sending it to the President’s desk.
Thank you, Madam Speaker. I reserve the balance of my time.